MORE THAN A MEMENTO
Some of life's most meaningful gifts cannot be bought, only earned, through years of showing up. They arrive unannounced, with no wrapping paper, and yet they stay with us far longer than anything we could ever unwrap. Recognition is one of those gifts, quiet, cumulative, and deeply personal.
When we gift a colleague for years of service, we recognise commitment. When we celebrate a client, we recognise trust. When we honour a teacher, a parent, a healthcare worker, or a friend, we recognise the difference they have made in someone's life. That is why I've never believed gifting is transactional. At its best, it is an expression of acknowledgement, a way of saying, "I see you." Perhaps that is why I have always been drawn to curating gifts that tell stories rather than simply filling boxes.
Sometimes, recognition arrives quietly.
Walking into the Pepper Awards that evening, I had no idea what lay ahead. As I looked around, I realised I was one of the very few women walking onto a stage occupied by people whose work I had admired for years. As the evening unfolded, I found myself returning to that stage more than once, and the night culminated in my work being recognised as Kerala's Best Agency. It was surreal, but not because of the awards. Over the years before that evening, I had been recognised for individual work at the Pepper Awards more than once, but nothing prepared me for what this particular win would mean. Kerala's Best Agency was the highest recognition the Pepper Awards had to offer, and that evening, I had won it.
Even as I write this, my mind goes to the incredible people who have stood behind every creative we have ever built. Their talent, patience, and passion have been woven into that award, and into every award that came before it, over the many years prior.
With time, I have also realised that recognition doesn't only come through awards. It can show up in smaller, less obvious ways: a client who comes back year after year, someone who recommends your work without being asked, or a phone call that begins with, "This has to be you," or "Only you can pull this off." Those moments may never make headlines, but they are often the ones that mean the most.
That lesson has shaped the way I look at gifting. At Gift of the Present, every time we curate a gift, we remind ourselves that we are not simply putting together a beautifully packaged hamper or a handcrafted keepsake. We are recognising a relationship, celebrating a milestone, acknowledging an effort, and quietly saying, "We see you. We value you. Thank you for making a difference."
Because, in the end, the greatest gifts are not remembered for what they contained, but for how they made us feel.
Thank you, Pepper Awards.

The proof truly is in the pudding. I saw the entire collection at your place, and there were others as well. But I'm guessing you're saving those for another post! :p
ReplyDelete